I was going to have a full healthy week. I really was.
But then pork shoulder was on sale. And so was our favourite BBQ sauce.
And that was that.
There are very few foods I enjoy more than pulled pork. It’s pretty much the only thing I ever order off of a pub menu. Adding these tacos into the regular meal rotation (as in once a month to month-and-a-half) was probably one of my better life decisions. Plus, it’s really not a lot of work for a pretty kick ass meal.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos
- 2 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups root beer
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- Toppings: Coleslaw (recipe below), fresh salsa and guacamole
- Cilantro and lime wedges to garnish
- Season pork with mustard powder, salt and pepper
- Place in slow cooker and add root beer. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Drain root beer and pull apart meat (this should happen very easily). Mix in BBQ and set on low for another hour or so.
- While pulled pork is finishing cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your toppings. Wrap corn tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven 15 minutes before the pulled pork is ready to serve.
- Remove heated tortillas from oven, and layer with pulled pork and other toppings.
Creamy Dill Coleslaw
- 1 package coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt + pepper to tatste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.